Relic Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relic Space

A forum for tabletop gaming!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Poll
What RPGs do you like to play?
D6 (Fantasy/Space, Star Wars)
The Escalation Die Vote_lcap14%The Escalation Die Vote_rcap
 14% [ 4 ]
D20 (Modern, M&M, Star Wars, True)
The Escalation Die Vote_lcap11%The Escalation Die Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
D&D 4e
The Escalation Die Vote_lcap7%The Escalation Die Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
D&D 3.5e/Pathfinder
The Escalation Die Vote_lcap18%The Escalation Die Vote_rcap
 18% [ 5 ]
Fate (Anglere, Diaspora, Icons)
 11% [ 3 ]
Savage Worlds
 14% [ 4 ]
World of Darkness (Vampire, Werewolf, etc.)
 14% [ 4 ]
Other: Tell us more!
 11% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

The Escalation Die

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reliquary
Admin
Reliquary

The Escalation Die Empty
PostSubject: The Escalation Die   The Escalation Die EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey all!

If anyone hasn't heard, some big game designers of D&D were let go by WotC and they are now working on their own version of what they think D&D should be. Its called [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Pretty interesting stuff that includes gridless combat, zero gear tracking, more story-oriented mechanics, and a neat combat mechanic called the Escalation Die!

After the first round of combat, the Escalation Die (a d6 and the larger the better) is placed in the center of the table. Starting in round 2 the die has the '1' placed face up. This is the bonus the PCs gain to all attacks. This increases by one each round until a max of 6 is reached in round 7. Now in 13th Age this is balanced by monsters having special attack(s) that trigger when the escalation die hits a certain number(s). If I recall correctly dragons in 13th Age do gain the escalation die bonus lol.

So there was a decent thread on ENWorld [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (I'm Liquidsabre btw) that we came up with a way to balance the escalation die for use in other games such as D&D 4e, Pathfinder, or really any game for that matter. Instead of having the escalation die only apply to PCs it would apply to all creatures and would aid in speeding up combats. Just an interesting idea I thought I'd share.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
https://relicspace.rpg-board.net

The Escalation Die
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Relic Space :: Rules Discussion :: House Rules-
Jump to: