Relic Space
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relic Space

A forum for tabletop gaming!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Poll
What RPGs do you like to play?
D6 (Fantasy/Space, Star Wars)
4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_lcap14%4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_rcap
 14% [ 4 ]
D20 (Modern, M&M, Star Wars, True)
4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_lcap11%4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
D&D 4e
4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_lcap7%4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
D&D 3.5e/Pathfinder
4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_lcap18%4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_rcap
 18% [ 5 ]
Fate (Anglere, Diaspora, Icons)
4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_lcap11%4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Savage Worlds
4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_lcap14%4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Vote_rcap
 14% [ 4 ]
World of Darkness (Vampire, Werewolf, etc.)
 14% [ 4 ]
Other: Tell us more!
 11% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jorgeo

jorgeo

4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Empty
PostSubject: 4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version   4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey guys,

Over the past year I've been reading a lot about ways to speed up combat in 4e, especially now that you are leveling up to have more options. As a DM I think I've reached the limit of what I can do in a practical way: Streamlined combat manager, warning players ahead of their turn, keeping monster turns fast, etc. So I'm going to implement a player reward system.

There are three major points:

1. This is a REWARD system. Understand that there are no penalties for being unable to benefit from it. If all else fails, your situation would be the same as it has been for this whole campaign.
  2. You will get bonuses for declaring and resolving your turn's actions within the allotted time.
  3. If I sense (multiple times) that people are feeling penalized, cheated, singled-out or frustrated, I will drop the whole thing and return to normal. No harm no foul.

The rules (Summary):

• If you can fully declare your first rolled action in the first 15 seconds, you get a +1 to your first d20 roll.
  • If you can fully resolve your first rolled action in the first 30 seconds, you get a +5 damage or +5 heal to the first damage.
  • If DM can't declare the monster's action in within 30 seconds, -1 first d20.

Below are the specifics and some examples:

If you can fully declare your first rolled action in the first 15 seconds of your turn (that you control), you get a +1 to your first d20 roll.

Good example: I will try to jump onto this rooftop and charge this rabbit
Good example: I will sneak and climb this wall.
Good example: DM: The creature attacks you at the start of your turn. Take 12 damage, you are prone. Ok, go! (Turn time starts ticking at this point)
Good example: I will cast lightning storm vs this guy and surrounding friends (Next 20 seconds are lightning sounds effects!)
Bad example: I will cast a spell.
Bad example: "Can i do X?" (You can always try, and if you can't you should probably know. I have a compact list of actions in combat and skill uses on the table for your reference.) See below 2 examples for related situations.
Bad example: I will use Power of Arbitrary Name to surf into the necromancer (WTF?).
Good example: I will summon a Shield of Faith, which protects against necrotic damage, to float over the necromantic lake. I'll move and jump on it to slide/surf over the waters and charge the necromancer.

If you can fully resolve your first rolled action in the first 30 seconds of your turn, you get a +5 damage/+5 heal to the first damage.

Good example: I charge the rabbit. +20 vs AC for 12 lightning damage. (DM adds convert to +21 vs AC, 12 lightning damage + 5 untyped damage)
Good example: "I cast Succubus Spanking, granting her a saving throw" (And +5 healing)
Good example: I charge the rabbit. +20 vs AC for 12 lightning damage. (Moves figurine) DM: You get an attack of opportunity when you move. Hit for 12 damage (DM turns to 12-5=7 damage) and immobilized. (1st player roll, 2 minutes later) I roll save vs immobilize: 9 (DM applies +1 bonus: save!)
Good example: Acid sprays all over the place. +23 vs Fortitude for 12 damage on this guy. (DM: +24 vs Fort, 17 DMG on this part of the attack) (Much later...) and the final target is this guy (DM: Resolves normally)
Bad example: I charge the rabbit. +20 vs AC for 12 lightning damage. (DM: +1 ATT/ +5 DMG). Player: No wait! (calculating past 30 second mark) +19 vs Reflex. DM (+1 ATT / +0 DMG)

If DM can't declare the monster's action in within 30 seconds of its turn, -1 ATT.

To be fair, I'll do my part. Mine is less restrictive because of less time to familiarize with new monsters.

DM resolves rolls. Bonuses declared only by DM, by modifying attacks

This is to reduce back and forth like "How many seconds I have left?" Or "Do I add extra 5 damage at this point?" and "Will I miss if I try something else and go over 30 seconds?"

Example: Player: So, yeah. +22 vs Will. Hmm.. total, 12 damage.. no wait, sneak attack, so.. 18 damage. DM declares: Ok, +23 vs Will hits, for 12 damage (This indicates you declared your action with 15 seconds, but failed to resolve it within 30). DM then asks: Any conditions added? Player: Yeah, prone (this is not affected by 30 second rule ).

DM power

I will be keeping the timer, and I will have final say on all rulings. The purpose is speed so there will be no discussion of this system in-game (add out-of-game thoughts to this thread). I can not make exceptions, to keep this fast and simple, sorry. Again, I'm not penalizing, but rewarding. Do not feel like you lost anything because you were not ready, and use other player's turn to plan your strategy.

Oh, and the single best tip I've seen all over the place to speed up combat: Roll attack and damage together, without massaging your dice.
Back to top Go down
jorgeo

jorgeo

4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version   4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Also, as always, the rule of cool still applies afro

Rule-of-cool is when I give bonuses to cool stunts, like Mazith balancing on the beholder or Rad hanging on from its eye stem last fight. But if you can declare/resolve it in the allotted time, the bonuses will stack.

Back to top Go down

4E Combat Accelerators - Player's Version
Page 1 of 1